The Rocky movies are one of my favorite franchises. Why? Because they have great character development. In each movie our hero Rocky Balboa has to face a new challenge. So today I will be giving my ranking of these six movies from top to bottom. (SPOILER ALERT)
That is my ranking. TTFN
- Rocky. The first is the best. The underdog story of all underdog stories. This movie isn't about winning, it's about going the distance and stepping out of your comfort zone. Rocky, a boxer who never reallly had the guts to go all-in, and instead worked as an inforcer for a loan shark, has a chance to fight the boxing champion Apollo. And believing he has no chance of winning he desides he just wants to go all twelve rounds to see if he does have what it takes to be a champion. On a side story we meet Adrian, Rocky's extremely shy love interest and we see how she gets the courage to stand up to her brother and become her own person.
- Rocky II. This really is just a continuation of the first one as the story picks up right where the first one ended, the main story is a fight between Rocky and Apollo and the side story is Rocky's relationship with Adrian. But this time the stakes are higher. Where in the first movie it was just a "friendly match" between the champion and a local fighter, this time they are fighting for the actual title. And in the Rocky/Adrian story there is also more drama as Adrian gets pregnant and almost has a misscarriage which makes Rocky realize that boxing isn't the most important thing in his life anymore.
- Rocky III. Here we find Rocky living comfortably as the boxing champion. Nevertheless, after he loses one mach badly and his friend and manager dies, Rocky once again has to prove to himself that the has what it takes to be a champion. But after having experienced defeat and realizing how much he has to lose, he is experiencing fear for the first time that he also needs to overcome.
- Rocky V. This movie is about acceptance and betrayal. Forced to give up boxing due to a brain injury, and losing all of his money due to a crooked accountant, Rocky has to come to terms with being poor and ordinary again. He finds solace in training a young fighter named Tommy Gunn, but after giving Tommy his full devotion and neglecting his family, Tommy leaves and disavows him for fame and money. Rocky hits rock bottom and is only broght back because of Adrian.
- Rocky Balboa. This takes place years later after Rocky V. Adrian has died and Rocky has a strained relationship with his son. Unable to fill the void after the loss of his wife, Rokcy takes up boxing again and is given a chance to again fight hte heavyweight champion in a "friendly match".
- Rocky IV. This is by far the worst of them all. This movie is pure USA good, USSR bad propaganda. A fighter from the Soviet Union named Ivan Drago comes to the US and fights Apollo, Apollo dies, Rocky goes to Soviet to fight Drago for revenge and to restore US pride. Rocky uses hard work to prepare for the fight, Drago uses state of the art training equipment and drugs, Rocky wins the fight and the heart of the Soviet nation. The movie is total crap and a waste of time.
That is my ranking. TTFN